Thursday 10 October 2013

Spare Change by Bette Lee Crosby

The Book:

 Olivia Westerly is the only person Ethan Allen can trust, and he’s not too sure he can trust her. She’s got no love of children and a truckload of superstitions–one of them is the belief that eleven is the unluckiest number on earth. Olivia avoided marriage for almost forty years. But when Charlie Doyle happened along, he was simply too wonderful to resist. Now she’s a widow with an eleven-year-old boy claiming to be her grandson.
 Winner of Five Literary Awards,BookBundlz Finalist, Voted Goodreads Best Unknown Fiction, FPA President’s Book Award Silver Medal
Great Book! Read my review here. Check out Bette's web page here.

The Inspiration: 

OK, I have to admit - before someone calls me on it - this was a no-brainer. If there can be coin quilts, there can be coin squares. And what is a small pile of coins called??? Spare Change, of course. (warning: I am about to do a little name dropping) To decide on the colours, I messaged my friend Bette Lee Crosby (the name sounds familiar because she is the author) and asked her three questions:
1) What is your favourite colour? 
2) What is Olivia's favourite colour?
3) What is Ethan Allan's favourite colour?
This is the response I got:
" Olivia's favorite color is emerald green (the color of her eyes) Ethan's favorite color is brown (the color of dog) My favorite color is probably a dark russet/burgundy-ish red."
And these are the colours I chose:


The Block:

I cut one 2 1/2 inch x 6 1/2 inch rectangle out of each colour and then sewed it together with 1/4 inch seams. It may not look like much on it's own but it is going to be a glorious addition to my literary quilt. I hope the colours are OK, Bette.

2 comments:

  1. I really, really love this and I am so honored to be the first square! I'm doing a happy dance! I love how the colors worked together and I'm excited to see the other squares you'll be doing. Such fun. I am definitely following this thread along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you like it. I'm with you - I can't wait to see what other squares I'll be doing as well...

      Delete